How Do You Know?

How do you know that you know?

Wouldn't it be more accurate to say, "Of course I don't know. But within the limitations of my mind, my heart, my senses, this is my current opinion. It may not be true for others, and it may not be true for me tomorrow, but for now it is my truth."

Let us call this the Confession of Limited Knowledge. Would we not see 98% of human conflict dissolve if we all just prefaced our statements with this confession?

If the Pope prefaced every encyclical by stating: "This is my personal opinion;" if the Ayatollah began every fatwah with the words, "This is only a suggestion, based on my best advice;" if the scientist introduced her conclusion with the caveat, "This is only a theory that other evidence may modify in the future;" if every political leader commenced speeches with the words, "None of what I say is certain; neither I nor my party has any right to proclaim its policy as absolute truth; but I ask you to consider my view as you form yours...;" then wouldn't we live in a more sane and peaceful world?

Yet few would respect such a humble Pope, evangelist, imam, president, or scientist. Their tentative statements would sound uncertain and ambiguous to us. We hunger for unquestionable authority. We secretly yearn for commandments written on tablets of stone. Absolutes absolve us from the anxiety of being free.

Now please, do NOT agree with me. Do not agree with anybody. You are not here to agree. You are not here to find the absolutes that are true for all of us. There are none. You are here to bounce off the opinions of others into your own uniqueness. Just thank everyone for their ideas and consult your own heart.

You know that you know your truth, not mine. I know that I know my truth, not yours. Now we can dance, because we are not required to agree.

No comments: