Let Go of This & You Can Let Go of That

To let go of an attachment, let go of its opposite.

So often we suffer an unwanted entanglement, yet we can't stop clinging to it. When this happens, consider that any emotional attachment is connected to its opposite, because all human qualities arise in polarity.

This is a very gentle way of releasing attachment. First, I notice the emotional quality that I invest in what entangles me. Then, instead of contending with that, I simply become aware of its opposite. I notice what I invest with the opposite emotional resonance. For if I am attached to that, I am sure to be just as compulsive about this. The energy of these attachments may be positive or negative, consisting of craving or aversion. So we are talking here about fears as well as desires.

Instead of resisting that, I just become aware of this, bathing it in relaxed attention. Not judgment or analysis, just observation. Now something interesting happens. As my attraction to this relaxes, my clinging to that releases its grip also. Relaxing one grip automatically relaxes my grip on its opposite.

This is a practice of non-violence toward oneself.

No comments: