Blameless



No one is to blame.

Let me not protect my heart from its own beaten Beauty by blaming you.

Let me not absolve myself from my part in this world, by blaming others.

May I breathe both Pain and Beauty into my chest. May I breathe in the suffering of the Philippines, the Congo, Afghanistan and Syria.

I unbuckle the breast-plate of anger and drop the shield of political judgment. I do not blame capitalism for the terrible power of the Storm. I do not blame Republicans or Democrats for the mystery of human suffering. I do not blame Obama or Cheney, Christianity or Islam, for the world's apparent injustices. I do not blame the rich. I do not blame the poor. I do not blame God.

Who can I blame? I see so clearly now that blame is just the way I deflect my anger and fear. But when I release all blame, I have no choice but to inhale the world's terror. And only then can I widen my embrace to feel its Beauty.

Yes, the Sorrow is profound, but the Beauty is breath-taking, astonishing, miraculous. The Sorrow I breathe in, the Beauty I breathe out. What I draw into my heart is cleansed, dissolved, transformed into a sapphire sky that flows with golden rays of dawn. This perfect clarity of compassion and joy is mine to release. I breathe the morning sky of love across the sea...

This world of sorrow and beauty had no creation.
The sky is always blue and pure in the midst of the clouds, behind the typhoon. Therefor I am free to marvel and worship beyond thought. 

The whirled has no cause, its pain has no beginning, its beauty no end. Therefor I am absolved of sin, and I absolve others of blame.

Dear Friend, won't you join me in this breath?

No comments: