Catechism


I cried, "Give me a meditation practice! Give me a spiritual technique! Something I can do right now to gain enlightenment!"

The Friend answered, "You are already doing it."

"I don't understand."

"You're not supposed to understand," answered the Friend. "The mind has no part in this."

"Then what practice am I doing?"

You are born in a body on earth. You awaken. That is the practice."

"What is the meaning of this birth?"

"You are on a cross, crucified by a paradox, with no escape."

"What is the meaning of this crucifixion?"

"The marriage of opposites, which occurs on no other world, and in no heaven. This is why even the gods must be born on earth if they wish to gain liberation."

"What is the center of this cross?"

"The vanishing point between past and future, spirit and flesh, joy and pain, stillness and action, converging in your cruciform body, at the heart."

"What is the mantra?"

"Your breath."

"What is the asana?"

"Embrace your flesh, just as it is."

"What is the prayer?"

"A silent 'O!' Lose yourself in that zero."

"Is there a ceremony to perform?"

"What is your body performing now?"

"My body is sitting, then standing, then walking, then lying down."

"That is the ceremony."

"To what goal will this practice lead me?"

"To the laughter you are laughing, to the tears you are weeping, to things just as they are in this moment, anointed with the dew of Awareness."


No comments: