Tavern in my Heart (A Poem from 'Wounded Bud')


All drinking stories are parables of divine love, which is why Jesus 
turned water into wine at the wedding; and all drunks, like madmen
 and lovers, have an affinity with the saints. 

At the tavern in my heart there's a name on the door
that turns all other words to laughter,
but I can't pronounce it when I get this way.

I just dance in the street and shout at people
who pretend to ignore me.
But now and then when I’m sober, I start howling,

“Don't go to work today, don’t pay off those debts!
Your sins are too vast! Just step in here 
and taste some bewilderment.

The inn keeper won't bill you till the end of time.
Then you can tell him, It's all your fault,
your hospitality made me tipsy!"

Friend, this wine is better than breast milk.
When nothing's left, you'll see 
the Beloved's face gazing

from the bottom of your cup.
Then you'll sing like me:
“This is the emptiness we all adore!"

 
حانة قلبي

هناك اسم على باب حانة قلبي
يحول كل الكلمات إلى ضحكات،
غير أنه لا يمكنني النطق به  وأنا في هذه الحال.
جُلّ ما أستطيعه أن أرقص في الشارع وأصرخ
بوجه من يتظاهرون عادة بتجاهلي.
لكنني، بين حين وآخر، أغدو رزيناً، فأهتف قائلاً:
لا تذهبوا إلى العمل اليوم؟! لا تسددوا كل هذه الديون!
فإن ذنوبكم شاسعة جدا!
بل ادخلوا إلى هنا قليلاً وتذوقوا بعض الانذهال.
فصاحب الحانة لن يحاسبكم حتى نهاية الزمن.
قولوا له أن الخطأ خطأه،
وأن حسن ضيافته قد أودت بكم إلى السكر!
نديمتي، إن هذا النبيذ لأفضل من حليب الثدي.
عندما تنفد الخمرة، سترين وجه الحبيب
يحدق بكِ من أسفل الكأس.
عندها ستغنين مثلي:
"هذا هو الفراغ الذي كلنا نعبده !"

 Arabic Version by Dana Chamseddine
Sign: Bill's Tavern in Cannon Beach OR

No comments: