Dharma


It is better to perform one's own duty, even if insignificant, than the duty of another, however grand!" ~Bhagavad Gita

Performing the duty that follows from one’s own nature is freedom. My 'Dharma' is whatever the universe needs me to do in order to be whole.The sign of doing my Dharma is that, even while working very hard, stillness permeates action, silence suffuses words, and a seamless continuum of compassion unifies the mind, the breath and the body - just as water pervades waves, and sap pervades the petals of a flower. The Dharma of one is to be a soldier, of another to be a monk, of another to own a business, of another to serve the homeless, of another to teach children, yet another is a farmer, and another a carpenter. Their work is equally pure when performed as an offering in harmony with the divine will, to serve the earth and to defend the innocent. If I judge my Dharma superior and yours inferior, or my Dharma inferior and yours superior, this is a clear sign that I have not found my Dharma. To manifest a peaceful and fruitful planet, we don't need to criticize the actions of others: we simply need each to find and perform our own Dharma, free of judgment.

No comments: