Free



How beautiful to dwell in the garden of opposites!

When they are flowers, I never call their colors "opposites";
I call them "complimentary." Why can I not call human opposites
"complimentary"?

I say I want to be free, but do I? Really? I am not free for abundance
if I am not free to be poor. I am not free for joy if I am not free
for sorrow. I am not free for gentleness if I am not free to be
aggressive. I am not free for generosity if I am not free to make
a profit. I am not free for voluntary simplicity if I am not free 
to consume. I am not free to be liberal if I am not free to be 
conservative. I am not free to be spiritual if I am not free to be 
sensuous.

I am only free when I allow the opposite to be OK. But when I
condemn one side as "wrong" and the other as "right," I am bound.
This is the most difficult less on earth, but it is why I am here in this
glorious broken-open bewildering world of complimentary opposites.

No comments: